[Realtime-feed-users] Delayed feeds and/or events (1+ hours)

Scott Smurthwaite smurth at mangoLabs.com
Wed Jul 9 12:42:43 UTC 2014

Matt,

I use the feed and have not noticed a lag.

which url are you using for the json feed?

Scott

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Keller" <mattrk at mattrk.com>
To: realtime-feed-users at geohazards.usgs.gov
Sent: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:47:35 AM
Subject: [Realtime-feed-users] Delayed feeds and/or events (1+ hours)

Realtime-feed-users,

I've noticed that for the last month or so, earthquakes are showing up later and later after they happen. My app focuses around Oklahoma which doesn't have automatic posting like California. (Not sure why, but i assume that's a $$ issue) Recently I've noticed that a lot of the quakes happening in Oklahoma aren't even hitting the "Past Hour" feed because they are taking 1+ hours to get posted. Since my app (A twitter bot) hits the feed regularly to check for new quakes, I've found the past hour feed to be the most efficient. (Much less data to download and parse) However, with these quakes showing up so late, I'm missing a lot of them. Because of this I'm probably going to have to switch to the "Past Day" feed so i can be sure to catch everything.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'm not really informed enough to know how exactly the entire system works from the waves in ground to the json feed but i would love if someone else more knowledgeable might be able to fill in the blanks for me. Is this something that can be "fixed" or is it just a "that's how it is" type of situation?