[Realtime-feed-users] Delayed feeds and/or events (1+ hours)

Matt Keller mattrk at mattrk.com
Wed Jul 9 04:47:35 UTC 2014

Realtime-feed-users,

I've noticed that for the last month or so, earthquakes are showing up
later and later after they happen. My app focuses around Oklahoma which
doesn't have automatic posting like California. (Not sure why, but i assume
that's a $$ issue) Recently I've noticed that a lot of the quakes happening
in Oklahoma aren't even hitting the "Past Hour" feed because they are
taking 1+ hours to get posted. Since my app (A twitter bot) hits the feed
regularly to check for new quakes, I've found the past hour feed to be the
most efficient. (Much less data to download and parse) However, with these
quakes showing up so late, I'm missing a lot of them. Because of this I'm
probably going to have to switch to the "Past Day" feed so i can be sure to
catch everything.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'm not really informed
enough to know how exactly the entire system works from the waves in ground
to the json feed but i would love if someone else more knowledgeable might
be able to fill in the blanks for me. Is this something that can be "fixed"
or is it just a "that's how it is" type of situation?