[CEUS-earthquake-hazards] Article on Central U.S. Earthquake hazard by expert panel

Eugene S Schweig schweig at usgs.gov
Fri Apr 29 17:45:49 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I think that saying the hazard methodology has had a series of spectacular
failures overstates the case.  The maximum earthquake used in the models
may have been wrong, but we work with the understanding we have at the
time.  Perhaps these "failures" should caution us to act conservatively in
considering lowering the hazard when faced with conflicting evidence, as
in the case of the New Madrid seismic zone.

Buddy
Eugene Schweig
Director
Geology and Environmental Change Science Center
U.S. Geological Survey

MS980 Federal Center                                      (303) 236-5344
Denver, CO 80225-0046                         Fax: (303) 236-5690