[Shake-dev] ShakeMap and Earthworm

Bruce Worden cbworden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:32:48 UTC 2012

Hi Branden,

queue was designed to work with systems running the AQMS software. There are two programs (shake_alarm and shake_cancel) that are run (in an AQMS system they are started by database triggers, but you can also run them manually) to tell queue about a new, updated, or cancelled event. queue then accesses the AQMS database to get event info and decide whether to run the event and what priority it should be given. queue also allows you to configure automatic repeat runs, different magnitude thresholds for different geographic regions, etc.

But since you're not running AQMS, you'd have to modify it. There is a program called queue_qdds that was triggered by events coming into the old QDDS system. That might be an easier target for modification. It's not my program, but I'm guessing you could get it to work.

Either way, though, you will still need some kind of system to recognize new events and either kick off shake, or poke queue.

I don't know what other earthworm users have done in the past, but the one user that I think might be able to help you is out of the office until the 30th.

Bruce

On Jul 18, 2012, at 6:45 PM, Branden Christensen wrote:

> [...]
>
> Before the site will work, you need to configure web.conf do 'make web,' then go to bin and run ./transfer -permweb (see p. ~12 of the software guide for this step). transfer -permweb currently doesn't work, but there will be a fixed version in the repository by the end of today. You'll do "svn update" and "make" to get the new code. There will be a number of other fixes, too. Remember to protect your custom version of topo2grd before updating.
>
> You may also want to go to <shake>/lib/genex/web/config and edit archivepages.xml to remove all of the years for which you don't have earthquakes.
>
> These are old-style web pages that use almost no modern web technology. They aren't particularly pretty, and we don't really do much to update them. The USGS pages are slick and modern, but nobody has template-ized them yet, so users are either stuck with what we distribute, or they can put together their own.
>
> Bruce
>

> On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Branden Christensen wrote:
>
>> I have noticed something off though. If you create a directory for EACH event then there will be gazillions of websites:
>>
>> e.g.,
>>
>> http://sandbox1.osop.com.pa/shakemap/9583161/genex/web/shake/
>> http://sandbox1.osop.com.pa/shakemap/4035/genex/web/shake/
>> ..
>> where each event has the directory structure of the entire website:
>>
>> e.g.,
>> osop at sandbox1:/opt/shakemap/data$ ls 9583161/genex/web/shake/archive
>> 1999.html  2002.html  2005.html  2008.html  2011.html   major.html
>> 2000.html  2003.html  2006.html  2009.html  2012.html   pre1999.html
>> 2001.html  2004.html  2007.html  2010.html  index.html  scenario.html
>> osop at sandbox1:/opt/shakemap/data$ ls 4035/genex/web/shake/archive
>> 1999.html  2002.html  2005.html  2008.html  2011.html   major.html
>> 2000.html  2003.html  2006.html  2009.html  2012.html   pre1999.html
>> 2001.html  2004.html  2007.html  2010.html  index.html  scenario.html
>>

>> Branden C. Christensen
>> Director, OSOP
>> branden.christensen at osop.com.pa
>> www.osop.com.pa
>> Volcan, Panama
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Bruce Worden <cbworden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice. Thanks for letting us know. Now you just need to get the files dumped into directories "<evid>/input", kick off shake, and you're good to go.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2012, at 1:20 PM, Branden Christensen wrote:

>>> 4034_1_event.xml
>>> 4034_2_event.xml
>>> 4034_dig_dat.xml
>>> 9583161