[Shake-dev] ShakeMap installation and user inquiries

Bruce Worden cbworden at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 00:53:57 UTC 2012

Hi Branden,

Sorry, I missed the 'pending' error, I just saw the one from grind that followed it.

All pending does is make a temporary web page that says that we're working on a particular event. It is a holdover from a time when it took a few minutes to process a ShakeMap. But with the newer ShakeMap software, and faster computers these days, it usually takes less than a minute to run ShakeMap. I think most operators have pending commented out of shake.conf. Even if it fails, it shouldn't cause any problems with later processes. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but if you are keen to investigate it, you can add '-dryrun' to your 'shake' command and it will spit out a list of commands that it would run, but not run them. You can then run them one at a time, and add the '-verbose' flag to any that seem problematic. If that doesn't yield any additional information, you can edit pending and find the lines that contain '$GENEX' and '$TRANSFER' and add '-verbose' to those, too. That will produce even more diagnostic output.

Or, like I said, you can just go into shake.conf and comment out pending (get rid of shakemail, print, and addon, too). I can't guarantee that the problem won't reappear when you try to run transfer, but that will at least tell us something. In any event, if grind, mapping, and genex run, you'll at least have maps you can run.

Also, now that you've configured the DEM, you can add -qtm back to grind.

Bruce