[ANSS-netops] Timing: IRIG-B conversion to NMEA

Kyle Persefield kpersefield at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 2 23:16:59 UTC 2016

Mark,

It is not clear if your cable run is long or just too difficult to do?  I
know of no IRIG-B solution.  Maybe it’s your new million dollar idea?  Do
your K2’s have the external GPS port?  That’s serial data.

We use an external GPS receiver with a pair of fibermux’s.  Our solution is
pricy for the real long runs at about $3500 and the run is good out to
8km.  There might be cheaper Antenna, Receiver, F/O Mux-to-Mux deals out
there, I just have not explored any new solutions for quite some time.

For runs of about 120 feet to about 600 feet you can use an inline GPS
amplifier.  They run less than $200.  You have to do some cable loss
calculations in order to select the Db gain you’ll need (10-40Db gain).  We
use LMR400 low loss cable.

Lastly, there are also some GPS antenna, down/up converters that are good
on LMR400 to about 1500 feet.

There’s lots of choices.

Kyle sends…!!!