[ANSS-netops] Timing: IRIG-B conversion to NMEA

Robert Wurth wurthrs at slu.edu
Thu Mar 3 00:05:02 UTC 2016

Mark

The problem you have is that you would have to create the GPS signal which
is not the nmea string, that is created by the GPS engine itself.
Rebroadcasting a GPS signal would be frowned upon by the FCC!!!

The other issue with a network based time system is you really never know
how long the packet takes to get thru the network, the delay could kill
you.  NTP uses the time stamp to approximate the delay and tries to
compensate for the delay.

If you can get a clean cat 5 from the outside to the instrument I would
just remove the GPS from the aldus/ k2 and convert the serial data and the
PPS signal to rs422 and send it down that way.  If they have central
network closets they may be able to patch you a dry cable.  Greg may be
able to help you with that.

As for fiber, if you are just running the nmea and pps signals Greg and I
built some boards to use with the 4td's to run the GPS over multimode
fiber.  I have also used B&B's fiber optic modem to send GPS signals over
fiber but either way the GPS would need to be removed from the unit unless
it has an external GPS interface.

Bob

--
Robert Wurth