[ANSS-netops] Fwd: bug in Reftek "Model 16X" Garmin GPS receiver (details from Reftek)

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Thu Jul 14 21:52:33 UTC 2011

All, below is an exchange we had after trying to work out a timing
error with a couple of Jim Cullen's sites.  Sorry for the bad news....

Dave

>Below are the details about a Reftek timing bug, as related by Ian
>Billings at Reftek.
>
>Refteks running with Model 16X GPS may or may not have a 1 second
>timing error. Once they DO have the timing error, it will remain 1
>second wrong until the GPS firmware is updated.  So even if we
>figure out which stations have the bad GPS module, we might not know
>if/when the timestamp went bad...
>
>The only way to tell if you have a Model 16X is to look at the hockey puck.
>
>Lynn
>

>>Subject: RE: bug in "Model 16X" GPS receiver (Garmin)? [USGS]
>>Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:49:25 -0500
>>From: "Ian Billings" <I.Billings at reftek.com>
>>To: "Lynn Dietz" <dietz at usgs.gov>
>>
>>Hi Lynn,
>>
>>Yes there is a problem with Garmin modules 16X, their Garmin
>>firmware between 2.50 & 3.70.  Garmin have recently fixed this and
>>we have tested it and ok'd it.  The fixed version is 3.70.
>>
>>Unfortuantely REF TEK did not track 130-GPS serial number to Garmin
>>model number, therefore one will need to look at the bottom of the
>>unit to know if it is a 16X.  This was a major error on REF TEK's
>>part as there is no way now for support to contact users that maybe effected.
>>
>>The error is an exact 1sec difference.  Once a clock gets into the
>>state of being in error it will not come out of it until the
>>firmware is replaced.  However it can take units months to get to
>>this point which makes it difficult to determine if current units
>>installed are in error yet.
>>
>>The 3.70 firmware is available on the Garmin web site.  I have also
>>attached a diagram of the cable we use to upgrade the units.  You
>>will see that a serial port is needed.  I will be in your area on
>>the 28th of this month so we could discuss this more then and I
>>could also upgrade any units you have on hand.
>>
>>Let me know if you have ant additional questions.
>>
>>Ian Billings.

USGS - Earthquake Science Center - NCSN Field Operations Manager
David S. Croker                                         office (650) 329-4697
345 Middlefield Rd, MS 977                           fax (650) 329-4732
Menlo Park, CA 94025                                 cell (650) 465-4334
email: croker at usgs.gov
Quake info: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
USGS URL: http://www.usgs.gov/