[ANSS-netops] cell modems and first of the month

Philip Crotwell crotwell at seis.sc.edu
Fri Dec 2 17:29:14 UTC 2011

Hi

We put in the power cycling earlier (using a PRC1000) because we were
having  issues with stations going down followed by trips to the field
where all that was needed was to cycle the power on the modem. You
waste a whole day driving just to unplug/replug the stupid modem and
you start thinking there must be a better way! The power cycling
seemed to be more of a raven-x issue rather than a verizon or AT&T
issue as it happens with both. The RT130 seemed to have had a problem
renegotiating earlier, but I think that has been fixed in the more
recent firmware. We do not powercycle the rt130 daily, only the
reven-x.

We also log the raven-x voltage every 15 minutes, and when the first
of the month outage happens, not only does the data stops flowing but
also we are unable to access the modem (via telnet) remotely. So we
are pretty sure this issue is cell provider to raven-x and does not
involve any of the actual seismic equipment on the other side.

Since we put in the daily power cycling things have been much more
stable, with the exception of this first of the month issue. We
suspect of course that there is something happening with the cell
provider, maybe some monthly maintenance or rebooting. But we don't
have enough evidence to make them pay attention.

thanks
Philip