[ANSS-netops] cell modems and first of the month

Mark E. Meremonte meremonte at usgs.gov
Fri Dec 2 16:59:12 UTC 2011

HI Phillip,

Is it a requirement to daily power cycle a Raven-X, XT, XE if using
Verizon service?   I have numerous Cell modems across the country now
and have never power cycled them.   However, I do have a couple that
had weak to nill signal strength from time to time; and 2 which the
RT130 would not renegotiate to the Internet.  Thus the RT130 had to
be physically power cycled after I installed a directional antenna vs
an Omni to obtain a more robust signal from one cell tower instead of
2 or more which the Omni appeared to be jumping around.

Mark

At 07:54 12/2/2011, Philip Crotwell wrote:
>Hi all
>
>We use raven-x cell modems on both verizon and at&t and have noticed
>that often a large percentage of the stations will go offline shortly
>after midnight on the first of the month. Not always, and not exactly
>at midnight, but usually between midnight and 2am. Usually the
>stations come back after our daily cell modem power cycle. It seems to
>happen more often with Verizon, but has also happened with AT&T. Tech
>support is as usual completely useless as they suggest "turn off the
>power and turn it back on again" and seem very surprised when I tell
>them I can't.
>
>Has anyone else seen this odd behavior? Any words of advice?
>
>thanks,
>Philip

Mark E. Meremonte         Geophysicist    Eq_Effects/NEIC

U.S. Geological Survey:  Geologic Hazards Science Center
  Denver Federal Center         Work: 303-273-8670   Cell: 303-478-5766
MS 966, Box 25046                 Email: meremonte at usgs.gov
Denver, CO  80225                  Web: http://geohazards.usgs.gov

Ship:  U.S. Geological Survey, 1711 Illinois St., Golden, CO 80401