[ANSS-netops] Replacement for motorola 300/320 FRAD

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Tue Jun 9 22:05:19 GMT 2009

Hi Rayo,

We are using a Cisco 1602R router.  I don't believe they are
available as new product from Cisco anymore, but there are plenty
still available.

1) low power -- 325ma at 12V, or around 4W
2) field hardened -- well, sort of.  We've had some failures over
time, but surprisingly few given the fact that they are not made to
be is an unsealed vault in the middle of nowhere.
3) uses 110V AC or 12V DC power -- either.  Like Kyle says, the plug
is of an unknown type.  We just cut the brick off and put spade lugs
on for 12V solar operation.  Now that I look at it, it kind of looks
like an "S-video" plug, but that would be hard to believe.
4) capable of SLIP and Ethernet -- definitely Ethernet, but I can't
say anything about SLIP.
5) easy to setup, use standard templates possibly browser-based --
difficult to set up, although we have written up a cheat sheet on all
the steps you need to follow to do so.
6) remotely monitored via SNMP -- can't say
7) reasonably priced or available as used -- Last time we purchased
them for only $50/ea from a used outlet in Santa Barbara called
Network Hardware Resale.  There are other vendors out there too.

For the SLIP and SNMP questions, you might try Will Kohler in our
office.  He might know.  There is room for an extra WIC card for
expansion if necessary.

Dave