[ANSS-netops] Replacement for motorola 300/320 FRAD

Kyle Persefield kpersefield at usgs.gov
Tue Jun 9 14:13:14 GMT 2009

Rayo,

We are using Calex DC-DC Converters.  On our Cisco 1721 Routers we
are using model 24T5.12K-CM converters.  This is a 18-36 VDC input
brick with a triple output of 5 VDC @ 5000mA and +- 12 VDC @ 1250
mA.  I believe the 12 VDC input model is 12T5.12K-CM.

Be advised that the Cisco 6 pin power connector is proprietary (you
can't order one).  You will have to cut the pigtail off the wall wart
and reuse it.

See attached drawing.

At 11:40 PM 6/8/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>We are looking at replacing some of the older Motorola FRAD's we use with
>something that is easier to configure, deploy and remotely monitor in the
>field. Our current setup consists of Motorola Vanguard 300 and 320 models.
>We configure these in both SLIP as well as Ethernet (RJ45) mode.
>
>Our main data receiving points at Caltech are all Cisco routers so we
>looked at the Cisco 1720 routers with CSU/DSU cards. The problems there
>are the voltage and current draw. These units require + and - 12V and 5
>Volts. And the current draw is pretty high(almost 15-20 Watts of power).
>In places that the station is backed up on a battery, using an inverter we
>would get data for only a few hours after a power failure.
>
>I am looking for alternate solutions or suggestions from people that use
>CSU/DSU FRADS with some or most of the following features:
>
>1) low power
>2) field hardened
>3) uses 110V AC or 12V DC power
>4) capable of SLIP and Ethernet
>5) easy to setup, use standard templates possibly browser-based
>configuration
>6) remotely monitored via SNMP
>7) reasonably priced or available as used
>
>Thanks in advance,
>cheers,
>rayo
>
>Rayomand Bhadha       rayo at gps.caltech.edu
>Caltech Seismo Lab   phone: (626) 395-2407
>Pasadena, CA          cell: (626) 298-9809

For a sure response send E-Mail to gsnmaint at usgs.gov, or
gsn-xxxx(your station code)@usgs.gov

Regards,

Kyle E. Persefield
Honeywell Int'l HTSI, Field Engineer
USGS Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory Contractor

Observatory "Trouble" Hotline Telephone: 505-846-5646
Tel:   505-846-7597
Fax:  505-846-6973
Web:  http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/

Mailing Address: