[ANSS-netops] ethernet bridges

Robert Busby busby at iris.edu
Fri Oct 31 23:31:03 GMT 2008

Hello netops
Transportable Array uses about a hundred maxstream ethernet bridge
radios when we link a vault to a AC VSAT or Solar VSAT communications
module, hops  less than 1 km.
We have also used Freewave and now use those mostly in longer hops.  The
maxstream radio is cheaper and has proved very reliable in our
experience and we recommend them for the proposed application.
We use the Xpress radios (900 Mhz) in the outdoor package with no change
of the factory default settings, they deliver in excess of 500kbps.
They are paired radios, which can be a pain if one is on a mountaintop.

As references:
Glen Offield at IGPP UCSD uses Afar radios,
Dave Mencin at PBO uses intuicom radios, which may have derived from
Freewave engineering talent.

--
Robert W. Busby
Transportable Array Manager			508-801-7628