[ANSS-netops] ethernet bridges

Dave Drobeck drobeck at seis.utah.edu
Fri Oct 31 16:49:25 GMT 2008

Yup, Richard is using them successfully.  Here's an email he sent me yesterday:

Hi Dave,

We have two pairs of MaxStream's XPress Ethernet Bridges in the field,
and both pairs have been trouble-free for us.  Neither of the links
are line-of-sight -- one link goes through ~850 feet of vines and
trees using 6 dBi yagis, and the other link uses 9 dBi yagis on a
~2,900 foot shot with two rows of trees and a grain silo in the way.

I don't think you can beat these things in simple point-to-point
applications without dumping a lot of money into FreeWave's 900 MHz
Ethernet radios.  However, unlike FreeWave's stuff, you can't manage
the radios remotely -- you only get a row of LEDs and some DIP
switches on the XPress's case for configuring it and getting its link
quality.

(For what it's worth, the MaxStream XPress Ethernet Bridges appear to
be rebranded AvaLAN AW900i (indoor) and AW900x (outdoor) radios.  The
AvaLANs are generally less expensive than the MaxStreams.)

We also have three pairs of 9XStream radios (19200 bps RS-232 serial)
connecting REF TEK 72A-07s w/ RT422 serial boards to computers.  I'm
not as happy with the 9XStreams as I was in SLC.  Getting them working
reliably in the field with the REF TEKs took months of fiddling with
radio settings.  I'm still not sure if the settings are even close to
optimal -- we got it to "good enough" and called it a day.

We also discovered that if the devices you're connecting to the
9XStreams don't support RTS/CTS flow control, you're doomed to
failure.  The radios have *very* small buffers for incoming and
outgoing data, so if your devices don't do flow control, they quickly
overflow those buffers and start sending and receiving nothing but
garbage.  (Guess how I found out that the serial port on a Guralp 6TD
doesn't do hardware flow control...)

Richard

--
Richard Godbee, Unix Systems Administrator
Department of Geosciences, Virginia Tech