[ANSS-netops] ethernet bridges

Kyle Persefield kpersefield at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 31 16:36:33 GMT 2008

All,

Just my 2 cents worth.  The Maxstreams are used extensively by
PASSCAL.  I believe they were about half the price of Freewaves.  I
think there was a just one little quirk about the Maxstreams, you
have to use matching TX RX pairs.  Maybe Bob Busby can chime in on this.

At 10:14 AM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Dave,
>
>Timely question for us too.  We have an application for just such a
>short hop "WiFi" link (across a parking lot).  We were thinking about
>using off-the-shelf wireless routers, but maybe we'll have to rethink
>things after your experience.
>
>  From the NetOpsII meeting, I remember Richard Godbee from Virginia
>Tech saying he was using the Maxstream radios with good
>results.  Don't know the model numbers or any specs.  I seem to
>recall he was using it for cross-campus connections, but I can't be
>sure.  It looks like Maxstream was bought by Digi.  Those products
>look to have pretty good price to performance value and might be just
>right for your application, but I have no experience with them.
>
>A couple other companies to check out are Afar and Eion (who recently
>bought WiLan).  I forget who I talked to who uses Afar products, but
>I know Berkeley uses WiLan products (although it seems like they are
>moving towards Freewave down in Parkfield).  Afar touts Mesh
>networking if that helps.
>
>If you get something working that you like, let us know.  Like I
>said, we have an application for it too.
>
>Dave Croker
>

>At 03:16 PM 10/29/2008, Dave Drobeck wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >We recently deployed some dataloggers using consumer grade WiFi links.  They
> >proved to be very poor performers for continuous telemetry.  We're looking
> >for other ideas.  We could certainly use Freewave, Trango, Canopy, etc, but
> >these are all way over-kill for the applications (a few hundred feet) and
> >costly.   What other ethernet bridges have folks used (Maxstream?) that have
> >proven reliable?
> >Dave Drobeck
> >University of utah

For a sure response send E-Mail to gsnmaint at usgs.gov, or
gsn-xxxx(your station code)@usgs.gov

Regards,

Kyle E. Persefield
Honeywell Int'l HTSI, Field Engineer
USGS Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory Contractor

Observatory "Trouble" Hotline Telephone: 505-846-5646
Tel:   505-846-7597
Fax:  505-846-6973
Web:  http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/

Mailing Address: