[ANSS-netops] ethernet bridges

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 31 16:14:53 GMT 2008

Hi Dave,

Timely question for us too.  We have an application for just such a
short hop "WiFi" link (across a parking lot).  We were thinking about
using off-the-shelf wireless routers, but maybe we'll have to rethink
things after your experience.

 From the NetOpsII meeting, I remember Richard Godbee from Virginia
Tech saying he was using the Maxstream radios with good
results.  Don't know the model numbers or any specs.  I seem to
recall he was using it for cross-campus connections, but I can't be
sure.  It looks like Maxstream was bought by Digi.  Those products
look to have pretty good price to performance value and might be just
right for your application, but I have no experience with them.

A couple other companies to check out are Afar and Eion (who recently
bought WiLan).  I forget who I talked to who uses Afar products, but
I know Berkeley uses WiLan products (although it seems like they are
moving towards Freewave down in Parkfield).  Afar touts Mesh
networking if that helps.

If you get something working that you like, let us know.  Like I
said, we have an application for it too.

Dave Croker