[ANSS-netops] experience with K-2's having internal IP interface cards

Richard Godbee rwg at vt.edu
Tue Jul 22 17:10:04 GMT 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Dave Drobeck wrote:

> We've had similar problems - so one thing we have done is switch to
> mainly Digi term servers - they have been much more reliable than
> the MSS-100 and operate on 9-30 VDC.

Another device to consider is the Moxa NPort 5110.  It takes 12-48
VDC, and its price ($120) is a lot better than equivalent products
from Lantronix, Digi, and Black Box.

I've had a 5110 connected to a Guralp 6TD for over a year without any
issues.  That said, it's on utility power and uses a SDSL link
terminated directly into our Earthworm machine, so I don't know how
well it would hold up on solar power and a public network.

--
Richard Godbee, Unix Systems Administrator
Department of Geosciences, Virginia Tech