[ANSS-netops] RefTek GPS

Nathan L Edwards nedwards at unr.edu
Thu Aug 21 21:33:10 GMT 2008

Adding onto Neil Ziegelman's comments regarding the 130 GPS...

On a portable deployment of several solar-powered stations a few months ago, we had lots of trouble with GPSs flaking out with this static problem.  We would experience long periods of malfunction; sometimes they start working on their own, sometimes just visiting the site would fix it (presumably by touching it and discharging it).  On a hunch, I figured it might be a static issue and blamed it on a poor ground.  Installing a copper grounding rod (connected to the negative terminal on the system battery) instantly and permanently fixed the problem.  The GPS then seems to get a good ground through the 130.

Nathan Edwards
Development Technician
Nevada Seismological Laboratory
University of Nevada Reno