[Realtime-feed-users] Help understanding difference in location description between Atom title and CAP headline

Fee, Jeremy jmfee at usgs.gov
Mon May 4 19:49:07 UTC 2015

CAP alerts are generated by an older system that still uses Flynn-Engdahl
region names.  Our newer systems use cities from geonames.org .

We plan to update our CAP alert generator, but currently have other
priorities.  CAP alerts will eventually use the same information displayed
by the ATOM and other feeds on this page:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/

The format that provides access to all event information as it was
contributed, including CAP alerts, is the GeoJSON detail feed:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/geojson_detail.php

Links to GeoJSON detail feeds are included as a "detail" feature property
in GeoJSON summary feeds.

Thanks,

Jeremy