[CEUS-earthquake-hazards] Invitation to submit comments on New Madrid seismic hazard report

John Vidale vidale at uw.edu
Fri Apr 1 20:01:10 UTC 2011

To those interested in Central US Hazard,

Last fall the National Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Council (NEPEC), a Federal advisory committee established by Congress in 1980 to advise the Director of the USGS on matters pertaining to earthquake predictions and related research, surveyed the long-brewing controversy over the level of seismic hazard existing within the New Madrid seimic zone, and advised the USGS that an independent expert panel be convened to further examine the issue and provide guidance.

In January, NEPEC Chair Terry Tullis drafted me, as a member of NEPEC, to chair that group, named the
Independent Expert Panel on NMSZ Earthquake Hazards.

Our panel has produced the attached draft report.  Our membership and the panel process are given in the Report Supplement.

If you have comments to offer for the panel's consideration in making our final revisions, I invite you to send email to NMSZpanel at gmail.com by Friday April 8th.  We will present our report to NEPEC in Memphis on Saturday, April 16th.

Sincerely,

John Vidale

vidale at uw.edu
(206) 543-6790 office
(425) 454-1906 home (ignore G&S message)

PNSN Director
Washington State Seismologist
PNW-ANSS Regional Co-ordinator
University of Washington