[CEUS-earthquake-hazards] The balance

Wang, Zhenming zmwang at email.uky.edu
Mon Jan 14 19:20:00 GMT 2008

Dear Laurence,

Even though blood bank is a special structure, the principles on how to minimize risk or maximize benefit are the same as for other buildings: all risks (natural and man-made) should be considered. Therefore, a 0.16g spectral acceleration at 1.0s in Memphis may not be enough if only seismic risk is considered. However, this design value may be fine if all the risks are considered in Memphis.

I am not familiar with the code changes in Tennessee. Here is the information on the residential code changes in Kentucky.

Kentucky adopted IRC-2000 in 2002 (KRC-2002) without any revision to the seismic provision. It was found that a site-specific geotechnical investigation and structural design (E zone in IRC-2000) are required in several counties in western Kentucky after the KRC-2002 took effect. This causes problems for those counties, McCracken County (where Paducah locates in) in particular. The design ground motion in the IRC-2000 was the ground motion with 2% PE in 50 years (seismic risk). What is the ground motion with 2% PE in 50 years? If you are interested in it, you can read a paper by Frankel (2004) and the comments on the paper by Wang and others (2005) and Frankel's reply (2005). As discussed in the early email, what is of safety concern in Paducah is the large earthquakes (M7-8) in the New Madrid or the ground motion generated by the earthquakes at Paducah with a 5-10 % PE in 50 years (seismic risk). The risk (the ground motion with 2% PE in 50 years) considered in the IRC-2000 is not consistent with the known risk (the ground motion with 5-10% PE in 50 years) in Paducah. This is the reason that Paducah has a higher design ground motion than that in San Francisco. After a long discussion, the ground motion with a 1,000-year return period (the ground motion with 5% PE in 50 years of the 1996 USGS national hazard maps) was selected as the design value for KRC-2002 in western Kentucky. The main reasons for selecting the 1,000-year return period USGS hazard maps (1996) are 1) the ground motion value is similar to the ground motion generated by a scenario earthquake (M7.7) in the New Madrid, 2) satisfying federal mandate (have to use the information produced by a federal agency). Currently, the 1996 USGS ground motion with 1,000-year return period is the design motion for KRC-2006.

Thanks.

Zhenming