[CEUS-earthquake-hazards] The balance

Seth Stein seth at earth.northwestern.edu
Thu Jan 10 03:00:04 GMT 2008

Klaus,

I think it's desirable to apply the same level of rigor in policy issues,
where billions of dollars are at stake, that we do in purely scientific
issues. The NIBS report is pretty thin on specifics.

The medical community is way ahead of us, in that they're starting to look
carefully at whether their usual ways of doing business are sensible.
For example, see below.

Cheers,
Seth

Annual Physical Checkup May Be an Empty
Ritual

By GINA KOLATA NY Times: August 12, 2003

To the growing numbers of medical experts who preach
evidence-based medicine -- the discipline that insists on proof that
time-honored medical practices and procedures are actually effective --
there is no more inviting target than the annual physical.

Checkups for people with no medical complaint remain the single most
common reason for visiting a doctor, according to surveys by the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2000, they accounted
for about 64 million office visits, out of 823.5 million visits over
all. At $120 to $150 per visit (and $2,000 or so for the gold-plated
''executive physical'' that many companies offer to top executives),
that adds up to more than $7 billion a year.

Yet in a series of reports that began in 1989 and is still continuing,
an expert committee sponsored by the federal Agency for Healthcare
Research and Quality, an arm of the Department of Health and Human
Services, found little support for many of the tests commonly included
in a typical physical exam for symptomless people.

It found no evidence, for example, that routine pelvic, rectal and
testicular exams made any difference in overall survival rates for those
with no symptoms of illness.

Seth Stein
William Deering Professor
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
1850 Campus Drive
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208
(847) 491-5265 FAX: (847) 491-8060 E-MAIL: seth at earth.northwestern.edu
http://www.earth.northwestern.edu/people/seth