[Shake-dev] how to keep modified program alive after update

Bruce Worden cbworden at caltech.edu
Mon Nov 1 19:31:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

How you handle that circumstance depends on what kind of changes you
are making. If they are the kind of thing you think other ShakeMap
operators might like to use, you can send us the modified code and we
can try to a) fold it in to the current code, possibly as optional
functionality, or b) make your programs alternate (optional) versions.
The problem with "b" is that it would be very difficult for us to
maintain multiple versions of the various programs, so it would
probably only work under very unusual circumstances.

Probably the best was to handle extensive local modifications is to
create three directory trees: one that is the clean version from the
ShakeMap repository from vault.caltech.edu, another that contains ONLY
your custom codes, and a third that is the merged version that is your
operational code. When you get updates from the ShakeMap repository,
you would compare the new code with the old version to see if you need
to change anything in your custom code. Then do an rsync from the
clean repository to your operational directory to bring your
operational version up to the latest update. Then you would copy your
custom directory tree on top of the operational code and, finally, do
the 'make' procedures, as usual.

Bruce