[Shake-dev] developing new GMPE module for ShakeMap v3.5

Bruce Worden cbworden at caltech.edu
Wed Dec 22 16:14:42 UTC 2010

Hi Georgia,

In general, the 3.2 and 3.5 results won't be the same because 1) the
interpolation is now done differently, and 2) intensity is now handled
by direct interpolation, rather than simply converting the PGA/PGV
maps. We did not attempt to make the maps for the same events
identical because the new approach yields better results.

In cases like scenarios, where there is no data, the two versions
should be the most similar. To the extent that the GMPEs are the same
(and one uses the Borcherdt-style site corrections and not the GMPE-
native site corrections [which didn't exist in 3.2]), the PGM maps
should be quite similar. The difference will be that in 3.2 the
estimates are made on a coarse grid and interpolated by cubic spline
to the output grid, and then site corrected. In 3.5, the estimates are
made at every point in the output grid, and then site corrected. Thus,
3.5 should better reflect the "shape" of the GMPE and of the source
(if it is not a point source).

For MMI, if you are using the DefaultIPE (i.e., a GMPE combined with a
GMICE rather than an explicit IPE), the difference will also  be in
the way site corrections are done and the order they are applied. For
3.2, site-corrected PGA and PGV maps are created (as described above),
and then converted to intensity. In 3.5, PGA and PGV estimates are
created at each point in the output grid, converted to intensity, and
then site corrected. If you are using an explicit IPE, then the
intensity map follows the 3.5 pattern for PGM maps: intensities are
estimated at each point in the output grid, and then site corrected.

Bruce