[Shake-dev] Can we still use Intensity Scale based on Wald99??

Bruce Worden cbworden at caltech.edu
Fri Dec 10 21:33:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

The ground motion to intensity conversion equation (GMICE) can be
selected by the operator. Wald99 is one option, though you may find
AK07 (Atkinson & Kaka, 2007) works better for your environment. The
other module that's currently available is FM2010. The complete
references for all of these modules are near the top of their source
files. There is the also the option to implement your own GMICE --
simply base the interface on one of the existing modules.

You make a good point about the PGA and PGV values, since these may be
just one source of data in the intensity map, and the relationship
between the PGA and PGV in the scale and intensity has always been a
bit loose. For Wald99 we actually use a ramp function from MMI 5 to
MMI 7 that transitions from MMI derived from PGA to MMI derived from
PGV. But the correlation between intensity level and felt effects and
damage remains valid, and I think the PGA and PGV values are still
valuable as guides to instrumental intensity. However, if operators
would like the option to remove the PGA and PGV from the scale, we
would take it under advisement.

Bruce