[Shake-dev] cannot install shakemap fully and get some errors when run the exmaple

Bruce Worden cbworden at caltech.edu
Fri Aug 6 17:11:08 UTC 2010

Hi Martin,

Please make sure you read the SoftwareGuideV3_5.doc and release notes
in the doc directory, and follow the instructions. There are a lot of
details about the installation process. This will save a lot of time.

> /usr/bin/install -m 0755 print /opt/shakemap/bin
> Can't locate ShakeConfig.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/bin/../lib /
> etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /
> usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/
> 5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at print line 8.

This error indicates that the file include/macros has not been
configured properly. In particular, the BASE macro needs to be set in
order for the programs to find the files. In addition, one needs to go
into the 'install' directory and do a 'make' there first, to get
several files initialized.

But it looks like you later solved this problem because you were able
to run various programs that wouldn't run without ShakeConfig.pm being
found.

> 2. cannot make web
> $ cd /opt/shakemap/lib
> $ make web
> Nothing to be done for `web'

This may have succeeded on an earlier run of make. Try touching config/
web.conf and running make web again.

> 3. there is no 'getciim' and 'getciim_us' in dir '/opt/shakemap/bin/'

Yes, these programs should not be in retrieve.conf. This is a bug that
is fixed, but I haven't pushed it out to the distribution yet.

> pscoast: full resolution shoreline data base not installed
> pscoast: full resolution political boundary data base not installed
> pscoast: full resolution river data base not installed
> pscoast: No databases available - aborts
> mapping: Error running command:
> /usr/lib/gmt/bin/pscoast -P -
> R-120.1500000000/-117.6500000000/33.5330000000/35.5930000000 -
> JM16.51 -N1/5 -N2/5 -Df -W5 -S120/160/220 -Ia/2/120/160/220 -O -K|

This indicates that your GMT installation does not have the full-
resolution databases installed. You'll need to go back to your GMT
installation and adjust it so that it downloads and installs the full-
resolution databases.

The -M error from psxy indicates that you don't have your GMT_VERSION
specified correctly in include/macros. If you are using 4.5.1, the
correct value would be "4.5".

Bruce