[Geomag-data] Near-real-time mag data?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 21:03:32 UTC 2016

D. R. Evans wrote on 01/14/2016 08:48 AM:
> Simpson, Hal wrote on 01/13/2016 03:39 PM:
>> In order to use geomag-algorithms,  you need python installed,  with the
>> supporting libraries, numpy, scipy, obspy, and flake8.   We generally
>> suggest installing anaconda, as it comes with numpy and scipy,  and
>> installing obspy and flake8 is simple using it's conda routine.
>
> Thank you for the speedy reply; I am afraid that you have rather lost me,
> though :-(
>
> Debian stable provides:
>   python-numpy
>   python-scipy
>   python-flake8
> but no
>   python-obspy

So, in the absence of any further guidance, I installed the first three
packages; but, not unexpectedly, when I try to run geomag.py, I still get the
error:

----

[HN:bin] ./geomag.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./geomag.py", line 13, in <module>
    from geomagio.Controller import main, parse_args
  File "/tmp/usgs/geomag-algorithms-master/geomagio/__init__.py", line 5, in
<module>
    import StreamConverter
  File "/tmp/usgs/geomag-algorithms-master/geomagio/StreamConverter.py", line
11, in <module>
    import obspy.core
ImportError: No module named obspy.core
[HN:bin]

----

I can't find any instructions that suggest what to do next, (in particular,
how to install obspy) so all I can think of to do is to repeat a part of my
prior e-mail:

> So how do I install obspy, since there seems to be no official debian package?
> (I'm a C++ programmer; I have no idea about how packaging works for python. I
> expect and hope that there's some simple way to install external packages such
> as obspy, as there is for R.)
>
> I'm wondering if there's a misunderstanding somewhere. Do I really need to
> install all this just to download near-real-time data once per minute? When I
> first asked about obtaining the data, I was expecting a response along the
> lines of: "the new URL is: <XXX>", so I could just wget the data every minute
> in the same way as in the past.

  Doc Evans

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR