[Geomag-daily] Trenching at Shumagin

Sauter, Edward esauter at usgs.gov
Tue Apr 3 14:28:56 UTC 2018

All,
Yesterday afternoon, I took a call from Art Torres.  He explained that he
was done with the trenching and was ready to back fill the trench.  He was
inquiring about what would be in the conduit.

I explained that the cable laying on the ground (replacement fluxgate
cable) would be pulled through the conduit.  I asked if sweep 90's were
used where the conduit went from vertical to horizontal, underground, and
Art replied he didn't have any sweep 90's, so there was just elbows, with
no sweep at that transition.

Art volunteered to pull the cable, but I cautioned him about pulling the
cable, with connectors, through the conduit, especially with regards to the
elbows.  I suggesting getting Jim Brown and, or Tina Anderson to help pull
the cable through the conduit.  Art also said a pull cord was inside the
conduit.

By looking at the Shumagin Plots (see attached file), it is obvious that
Art was at the site, but I don't see any indication the cable was pulled
through the conduit.  And, there is still equipment in the area as the
Fluxgate data is still offset from the levels before Art started his work.

Geomag Plots web site:

https://geomag.usgs.gov/plots/

Ed Sauter
--