[ANSS-netops] problem with Q330S

Mitchell Gold goldm at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 19 20:19:12 UTC 2018

[previously sent to Dave Wilson at ASL who hadn't seen the problem as
they don't use the Baler in this mode]

With our Q330S units with integrated Baler44, I preferred to set up the
data loggers through the Baler RJ45 to allow direct access to the Baler
status page and the SSL connection to data. Most of our units are
running older firmware, so I haven't seen any with the 20121002 build.

I installed a depot Q330S unit at site FRNY last month and found on site
that it couldn't communicate back to Lamont on setup. This is connected
through the Baler44, and I could connect to it in the field and across a
radio link on their local network. After extensive trouble-shooting with
their ISP believing it was a firewall rule or NAT problem, I found an
issue with its network setup when the ISP could see inbound traffic to
the device but nothing coming out of it, and they could login to it from
the local area network.

The problem is that the default network gateway set in Willard
(Configuration->Interfaces->Serial 2->Advanced) is not being set in
boot. (see attached image)

I was able to have them login and run:
   route add default gw 192.168.0.254
and then the Q330S could communicate with the world. This will only work
until the Baler reboots. This is Q330S #4236 running BusyBox v1.00-cr2
(2004) and firmware BALER44-20121002-W.

I can think of a few ways I should be able to set this within the
BusyBox Linux (make a script that runs in a cron job to check and reset
the route or editing the system config).

The network file: /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 reads:

    DEVICE=eth0
    IPADDR=192.168.0.50
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.0.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
    BOOTPROTO=static
    #BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ENABLE=yes

I'm not well versed in BusyBox, but I believe it should have a field of
GATEWAY=192.168.0.254

What I really don't know is how volatile the Linux install is -- does it
clear and reload everything at boot time, so any changes I make aren't
persistent?

I don't have a spare Q330S to test with, and I don't want to wedge the
system in the field.

Do you have any ideas?

Regards,
--Mitch

--
   Mitchell Gold
   Lamont Cooperative Seismographic Network
   goldm at ldeo.columbia.edu
   845-365-8583