[ANSS-netops] GPS failure at New Mexico Tech Seismological Observatory

Gee, Lind lgee at usgs.gov
Tue Jan 28 21:54:16 UTC 2014

I'm forwarding this from Glenn Biasi.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Glenn Biasi <gbiasi.seismo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [ANSS-netops] GPS failure at New Mexico Tech Seismological
Observatory
To: "Gee, Lind" <lgee at usgs.gov>, anss-netops at geohazards.usgs.gov
Cc: singate at ees.nmt.edu

 Reftek GPS clocks did a similar thing in August of 1999.  The problem in
that case was that an internal counter of weeks since design start exceeded
1024, so clocks all reset to the date of week 0.  The year could be set
separately, and the time was okay, just not the date.  Revised firmware
revived those GPS units.  The PASSCAL team corporate memory could provide
better details.  No idea whether a similar firmware option is available for
the Geotech GTS-One.

Glenn