[ANSS-netops] Note from Kinemetrics regarding non-repair of Altus K2 and Makalu dataloggers

Agnew, James@DWR James.Agnew at water.ca.gov
Tue May 28 22:49:21 UTC 2013

FYI: We received the following communication from Kinemetrics last week; it also applies to the 6-ch Makalu which is housed in a K2 case:

"Please Note: Effective 4/22/2013, Kinemetrics, Inc. is no longer repairing K2 units worldwide. I've been instructed that you may contact the Sales Department at sales at kmi.com<mailto:sales at kmi.com> if you would like to purchase replacement units. The K2 was obsoleted for many years, the K2 component availability is almost non-existent today. Up to now we tried to help our client base with components we had in stock that were purchased many years ago but Intel, Motorola and other component manufacturers no longer manufacture those today, therefore we are completely out of solutions... Lastly the K2 was introduced in 1990 and Kinemetrics, Inc. is happy there are still many units in operation worldwide."

We have seven (7) K2 units and 22 Makalu's, some of which have not even been installed yet... this came as quite a shock to us, especially since it takes a long time to plan and budget new dataloggers for purchase.

Jim Agnew

James D. Agnew, M.S.
Section Chief/Sr. Seismologist
Earthquake Engineering Section
Dam Safety Branch
Operations & Maintenance Div.
Dept. of Water Resources (DWR)
1416 9th St., Room 204-10
Sacramento, CA 95814
Tel. (916) 653-7384
Cell (916) 201-3392
Email: James.Agnew at water.ca.gov<mailto:James.Agnew at water.ca.gov>

"I don't know why people in California or anywhere else worry so much about earthquakes. They are such a small hazard compared to things like traffic. Given the choice, I'd worry about the freeway a lot more than an earthquake any day." - Charles F. Richter (4/26/1900 - 9/30/1985)

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education." - Albert Einstein