[ANSS-netops] Configuration for Kinemetrics Basalt - S-13s

Jamison Steidl steidl at eri.ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 11 17:51:28 UTC 2013

Even though the coil constant is quite high for these velocity transducers,
the mass will hit the physical stops well before they can get to m/s
velocities. I'm not sure what these physical limits are on the S-13, but we
use 420 V/m/s L4C's and have them set at 2.5V on the Basalt/Granite systems.
Assuming that you have an accelerometer at the site as well, even if you
clip the data logger not the sensor at the 2.5V scale, your accelerometer
should have great signal to noise at that point.

It would be interesting to test these on a shake table and see what their
actual max output is. It will of course be frequency dependent. I think we
saw physical clipping at about 0.002 m/s for out 420 V/m/s L4C's during the
aftershocks of the Northridge earthquake.

Cheers,
Jamie