[ANSS-netops] Cell modem?

Philip Crotwell crotwell at seis.sc.edu
Fri Feb 8 22:49:03 UTC 2013

We are mostly just using the omni antennas that came with the ravenX. We
have tried directional antennas (yagi) at a couple of sites, but it has not
been an obvious improvement. Could be we were doing something wrong, but
the rssi never seemed to be that much better than the omnidirectional no
matter where we pointed it.

I don't know that much about the details to be honest. We install them,
turn them on, and except for a weird "first of the month" outage that
happens almost every month, the seem to just work. We do have a "prc1000"
at the sites to power cycle them once a day. That seemed to help uptime a
lot.

Philip