[ANSS-netops] L-4C users beware

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 2 21:34:11 UTC 2012

If you don't use Sercel L-4C sensors you can delete this.

We recently found out the hard way that a batch of "new" seismometer
caps were wired with reverse polarity from the factory.  This is
something we have never really checked before.  The red lead
(positive, high) should go to the bottom contacts (closest to the
tip).  We haven't bought many replacements over the years but we did
buy a batch of a dozen last year.  It appears they were all wired in
reverse.  Fortunately we caught the problem before we had too many
deployed and they were all a day trip away.

If you have purchased new caps from Sercel in the past year I
recommend you check the polarity.

Dave

USGS - Earthquake Science Center - NCSN Field Operations Manager
David S. Croker                                         office (650) 329-4697
345 Middlefield Rd, MS 977                           fax (650) 329-4732
Menlo Park, CA 94025                                 cell (650) 465-4334
email: croker at usgs.gov
Quake info: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
USGS URL: http://www.usgs.gov/