[ANSS-netops] Freewaves and Intuicom Radios

Kyle Persefield kpersefield at usgs.gov
Tue Apr 10 22:10:20 UTC 2012

All,

I have you ever looked at a Freewave model HTP-900RE and a Intuicom
EB-3 Plus side by side?  They are the same radio.  Only the color of
the box is different.

I called Freewave to find out what's what.  The address on each of
the radios is the same for each manufacturer.  They live in the same
building.  I've never ordered Intuicom radios.  They are not on GSA
as are the Freewaves.

So, it begs the question,"are they the same company"?  The answer is
no.  Intuicom is a re-seller of Freewave products.  In essence, the
Intuicoms have the guts of the Freewaves inside.  The RF board, the
serial and Ethernet interfaces are Freewave.  The difference in the
radios is in the firmware.  Intuicom overlays their own custom
firmware into their product.  Intuicom says that their radios are
compatible with Freewaves.  They should talk to each other, but I'll
test that theory just the same.

My next question to the RSNs users out there is,"Are either of the
Freewaves and Intuicoms having any problems in the handling of UDP
packets in particular with the RT-130s"?

Freewaves from the Depot or just the USGS perspective are easy to
order because they are on GSA.  Because, Inituicom's are not on GSA
schedule, ordering them has to go through the procurement route and
competitive bidding which takes a long time.

Any comments from the RSN users on these 2 brands of radios and how
well they work with the various digitizers would be most helpful.

For a sure response send E-Mail to gsnmaint at usgs.gov, or
gsn-xxxx(your station code)@usgs.gov

Regards,

Kyle E. Persefield
Honeywell Int'l HTSI, Field Engineer
USGS Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory Contractor

Observatory "Trouble" Hotline Telephone: 505-846-5646
Tel:   505-846-7597
Fax:  505-846-6973
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/asl/

Mailing Address: