[ANSS-netops] Trillium Compact installation

Mark E. Meremonte meremonte at usgs.gov
Wed Jul 20 04:58:55 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

For 6 months to a year we use the small vault systems we developed
for portable systems:  see attachments.  For the portables we try to
install insulated vaults at least 6 inches below the
surface.   However, for permanent install I would not install less
than a foot below the surface; or, if necessary, we mound at least a
foot of soil over top of vault if less than a foot below surface.

For permanent I will probably be using a smaller version of our
regional vaults with sandblasted glass bases and using
insulation.   See
ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/cr/co/golden/hazards/Eq_Effects/Vaults/Regional/5_Vault_CMG3-MEMS.jpg

Yes, I believe some tests should be done on temperature
effects.  Similar to other BBs, they should be insulated to stabilize
temps.  Sounds like an experiment for Bob Hutt at ASL.

Some thoughts and Regards,
Mark