[ANSS-netops] experience with rt130 ethernet

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 17 21:38:17 UTC 2010

Hi Mitch,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  We have about 4 RT130's coming in
using cell modems and one via HughesNet satellite, both via the
public internet.  In the case of the satellite, there is a router on
site with an IPSEC tunnel to Menlo.  The cell sites have no such
"security" in the field, just a firewall hole on the Menlo campus
network.  The way I understand it (which is sketchy at best), the
fact that RT130's use UDP packets and will only talk with the RTPD
address, there are no other security issues with this set up and the
IT hounds don't have a problem with it.  Thus, they have been working
fine in this situation.  Hope this helps.

Dave