[ANSS-netops] experience with rt130 ethernet

mwithers at memphis.edu mwithers at memphis.edu
Wed Mar 10 15:16:09 UTC 2010

We just got our first few RT130's installed last month.  We have them
streaming over a digital telemetry link to a router that gets them
onto public internet.  The primary purpose of the router is to let us
use a single routable ip to connect our three devices (the das and
the two radios).  It also has the advantage of isolating the das from
spurious traffic from the wilds of the internet.  So far, this lashup
is working great.

Now we want to install one where we don't need the telemetry leg of
the communcations.  So we only need a single ip for the das and
theoretically don't need the router.  But we've had a lot of trouble
in the past with terminal servers hanging when they're exposed
directly to the internet.  How robust is the rt130 interface?  Does
anyone have experience connecting them directly to public internet
or do people hide them behind firewalls, routers, etc?

Mitch

Center for Earthquake Research and Information (CERI)
University of Memphis                Ph: 901-678-4940
Memphis, TN 38152                   Fax: 901-678-4734