[ANSS-netops] RFI stepping on sensors and data loggers

Mark E. Meremonte meremonte at usgs.gov
Sun Feb 28 16:36:51 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Well I have been seeing these steps (or temporary offsets) off & on
for a couple of years.  I thought they were only seen on the older
Applied MEMS accelerometers.  We had this problem in a couple of the
MEMS used in the Wells, Nevada, deployment.  After the deployment I
sent the MEMS (5) in for repair Fall 2009.  The explanation was that
some contacts inside the MEMS were "dirty".  They were
cleaned.  After I received them back I checked them out and they all
appeared to not have the steps.  The generation of Applied MEMS
should not have this trouble I was informed.

I sent some of these systems to Am Samoa.  On their return a couple
of them have the steps again.  Below is a plot of one of them with
steps happening quite frequently.  This system had no communications
with Ethernet record disabled but the RT-130 TCP/IP stack power was
left set to "on".  Not sure if this has any connection but I doubt
it.  I should test it.  Here is the plot:
Emacs!

MArk