[ANSS-netops] Low Power Router

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Sat Feb 13 00:13:21 UTC 2010

Bob, that's great news!  Maybe Sierra Wireless was tired of taking
technical support questions from us about running more than one
device behind the modem.

Rayo, thanks for the info about using the wireless routers.  Good idea.

For Steve, the router we have been using for years at remote field
sites is the Cisco 1602.  It consumes a little less than 4 W, but
that is as low as I've seen, although I haven't searched much in
recent years.  They haven't been produced for several years, but we
still find a good supply at used resellers for not much money.

Mark, we haven't used the XE version.  I seem to recall that the
difference in price didn't make it worth it, but I'm not
positive.  We have used the serial port to our advantage in the past,
so I guess it can come in handy, and worth it.

Dave