[ANSS-netops] Vaults and ARRA upgrade stations

Mark E Meremonte meremonte at usgs.gov
Wed Apr 14 23:51:16 UTC 2010

Hi Dave & Nathan,

John McMillan,  Can you give them the type of epoxy we used?

The pressure gauge was used to verify the 2 psi the o-ring on the lid was
rated for and to test a seal John is working on for the cable entry. John
has a cool cable entry seal he is designing that has two plates which
sandwiches a sealant material (duct seal in our case for testing purposes;
 hope to find a better material) and forces it around the cables and up
against the inside of the conduit to form a water/air tight seal.   In our
test we did it without the cables, vault full of water, and pumping 2 psi
into the system.    Have not seen one leak yet,  but I have not been back
to check since none of these 3 installations have indicated problems to
warrant a return.   All have been in since mid-august 2009 and have
over-wintered well thus far.   Maybe the melting season of Spring may tell
differently but not yet.  Keep track of the PDFs at IRIS DMC.   They will
tell us if troubles crop up.

The glass base protrudes out beyond the base of the barrel and that
protrusion is utilized to help anchor/couple the vault to the concrete.
So, yes, I pour 2-4 inches above the lip on outside of the vault.  Below
the vault the amount of concrete used depends o the hole.   However,  we
used 6  80-lbs bags of concrete:  4 in the hole, place the vault, 2 above
the lip & around the whole edge.  I did not use re-bar,  if a larger
diameter hole then I use re-bar.

Both this vault "remote style"  (or other name which I have not thought of
yet) and the McMillan have their place.  We did use the remote style at
our site at TPNV on top of the mountain at NTS where difficult to get
concrete truck up to for McMillan style.

Finally, you asked about weight of saturated soil and plus snow on top.
The Idaho sites averages 12-15 of snow according to forest service.
Because this salvage drum is smaller then the big ones for McMillan, the
sides are thinner and lid less strong even though it is ribbed as you can
see in photos.   I am not worried at all about the sides because I use
sand to backfill around the vault.  The sand acts as a nice buffer between
the vault and angular rocks that may be present around the edge which may
break off and eventually (or possibly) dig into the side over time; and
the sand distributes the forces around the vault evenly giving the sides
more strength; and the sand helps couple whole system to Mother earth. Now
the lid, it can depress with enough force.   So, I worried about that as
well.   So, I placed a strong 1 inch thick, computer room false floor tile
over it.   I am still looking for something other to replace the tile that
will be strong, lightweight, and will not deteriorate (or rot) over time.
I have not found that yet and we had lots of these unused floor tiles.

Maybe I am too honest here but there you go.  Welcome comments and ideas
for strengthening the lid.  The salvage barrel worked out well because it
is lightweight and it comes with the o-ring.  This is what I was after in
the prototype I showed at the last netops meeting.  I was against the
salvage drum at first because of the thinner sidewall but the sand has
remedied that problem.

Hope this helps in deciding what to do on vaults.   I know Memphis has
their design which I should take another look at as well.  They have all
that saturated, thick Miss. muds.  I think this system would work well
there too but I should would like to test it.   However, the Idaho site
may do the testing for me as the snow melts and the water has no where to
go but stay on top because it does not absorb into the granodiorite there
this vault is embedded in.

Enough,  good night!

Mark

Mark E. Meremonte             Geophysicist    USGS/ANSS/NEIC

U.S. Geological Survey      Work: 303-273-8670   Cell: 303-478-5766
MS 966, Box 25046               Email: meremonte at usgs.gov
Denver, CO  80225                Web: http://geohazards.cr.usgs.gov

Ship:  U.S. Geological Survey, 1711 Illinois St., Golden, CO 80401