[ANSS-netops] verizon cell modems

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Tue Nov 24 22:55:04 UTC 2009

Hey Greg!

Yes.  The Raven-X modem (the only model we've used and are familiar
with) actually has two antenna ports, a primary and a
secondary.  With the software that supports the modem, you can see a
readout of the RSSL (as a number I think, not a graph).  It actually
seems to work pretty well, and you can use it to fine (more like
moderate to rough) tune the direction to point a high-gain yagi
antenna (assuming you don't have usable cell sites all around
you).  The way we have installed them so far (just 4, but all at
pretty remote sites), is to use a yagi antenna for the best possible
signal on antenna port 1, then also hook up a low-cost omni antenna
on port 2 so that if the cell site we're pointed at bites the dust,
the modem will have a chance of picking up a signal from a secondary
cell site in any direction (especially good too as the cellular
companies keep adding more towers).  The cost of the extra whip,
coax, and time to install is totally worth adding the second antenna.

Good to hear from you, Greg.

Dave