[ANSS-netops] Fw: Strong motion calibrations

Bob Hutt bhutt at usgs.gov
Thu Jun 25 13:50:22 GMT 2009

Everyone,

I agree with the statement from Kinemetrics tech support that the
step voltage does not provide very useful information on absolute
sensitivity.  I look at it as diagnostic (verification of
state-of-health).  However, assuming that the ratio of calibration
input voltage to accelerometer output remains stable over time, I can
imagine using something like the following procedure:

1.  Determine absolute sensitivity through the use of an accurate
tilt calibration or accurate flip test.  This is best done in a
laboratory setting for controlled conditions because an accurate tilt
jig or cube with precise right angles must be used.

2.  At the same time, input a known accurate voltage step into the
calibrator input and observe the output step amplitude.

3.  After the accelerometer is installed in the field, the same
calibration input voltage step should produce the same output that
was observed in Step 2.  That is, the ratio of output voltage to
input voltage should remain the same over time.  If not, then
absolute sensitivity must be determined again (repeat step 1).

If the ratio of output to cal input continues to change, there is
probably a problem with the accelerometer.  Note that there is some
bookkeeping required to keep track of this ratio for each individual
accelerometer (what it should be and what it is for each step cal
test performed).

Note that an accurate flip test with a properly designed cube in
which to mount the accelerometer can also probably be done in the
field, but this requires a level surface on which to put the cube (in
which the accelerometer is mounted).  This level surface could be a
flat plate of aluminum with three leveling feet, which would be set
up and levelled using an accurate bubble level (carpenter's level is
probably ok).  But this is additional stuff to carry.

         Bob