[ANSS-netops] Strong motion calibrations

Jamison Steidl steidl at crustal.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 25 09:05:14 GMT 2009

There are certainly more in depth calibrations that can be done on strong
motions sensors, including using a shake table to test the entire frequency
range, all the way to DC offsets. The NSF NEES program has many experimental
facilities, primarily lab based, that do this routinely, and even have
certification (I can't remember the name of the agency off the top of my
head) so that the calibrations are considered NIST traceable.

The problem we have as network operators is we don't have our sensors
sitting on a shelf between experiments, and can't do this kind of detailed
calibration on sensors that we need in the field 24/7 to catch the
earthquake.

Beyond a functional test exciting the cal coil, or going a step further
doing a tilt test at the site using a portable tile table, there is no good
way to calibrate sensors without removing them from the field. You could
have spares and rotate them through your array, sending sensors in for a
NIST traceable calibration once every X years. However, given the bare bones
level of funding most networks are already operating on, this is probably
not a reality.

I think a functional test at least once per year, along with using
earthquakes, is probably all we can afford to do at this point to ensure
that the strong motions sensors are functioning.

Cheers,
Jamie

Jamison H. Steidl, Ph.D.
Associate Research Seismologist