[ANSS-netops] Database

Robert Busby busby at iris.edu
Mon Feb 9 19:51:28 GMT 2009

Hello netops,
The EarthScope Transportable Array uses a system for station visits
quite similar to that Nathan describes which was based, in turn, on a
similar system at Caltech for the SCSN.
We have text based templates for various types of station visits;
construction, installation, service, removal.  The message is sent from
the tech's own mail account to a maillist.
The subject line includes the type of visit and the station code.  One
of the recipients in the maillist is a program that archives the email
and puts the message in a preformed station reports web page for that
station.
Other maillist recipients can easily access the messages, sort and
search either within their own mail client or on the web based tool.  We
also maintain an equipment inventory database but this
captures details of the specific equipment (purchase date,
modifications, version, other key information) and does not attempt to
describe the station details.  The installation and service report includes
serial numbers of equipment.  I can provide some examples if interested.

For us, this email system has scaled very well to activities which might
include 5-8 visit postings a day.  Attachments, photos, or unusual messy
details are easily accommodated. A side benefit is that
it builds a bit of a community, as recipients are aware of other
people's efforts (in trying conditions) and the reporting can be
engaging and entertaining, depending on the circumstances.
Even account administrators can use the reports to corroborate invoices
or billed activities-reducing the need to compile and file additional
reports.  It serves many purposes.
It is also easy to execute in the field or back at the hotel, but does
not require an online connection-at least while creating a report.

One problem that is solved by the web based archive is  its easy review
the history of a station over a few years.  One entry we find useful is
to convey items to be done on the next visit.
cheers,
Robert Busby