[ANSS-netops] Database

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Mon Feb 9 16:45:50 GMT 2009

John,

We are likewise trying to develop a Microsoft
Access database to keep track of equipment
inventories and site equipment and
documentation.  It has been a long road to try to
get a functioning database, and we aren't there
yet.  It has helped that we finally have someone
in-house take on the building of it that knows a
lot more about databases than me and the other
technicians.  Folks in SoCal are also trying to
wrap their heads around a database and have asked
about what we are doing, but we haven't updated them in too long.

Unfortunety for you, the first stage of the
database will NOT include site visit
tracking.  That is a long-term goal.  Our
priority at this time is to finally document what
we actually have in the field (and on the
shelf).  It will also be a depository for site
photos, maps, diagrams, and whatever
documentation we use to describe a site.  I
certainly don't mind sharing notes with you and vice versa.

Dave

At 10:23 AM 2/5/2009, Mark E Meremonte wrote:

>John,
>
>We are using INV
>(<http://www.isti.com/products/inventory-digit>http://www.isti.com/products/inventory-digit)
>to manage ANSS_BB equipment and responses (which
>also generates SEED volumes) at our stations and
>our spare equipment in our ANSS-BB depot.
>
>For keeping track of station maintenance/service
>we are using Request Tracker
>(<http://bestpractical.com/rt/>http://bestpractical.com/rt/)
>both for ANSS-BB and GSN networks.  We have been
>using officially as of 01-JAN-2009.
>
>Regards,
>Mark

>Mark E. Meremonte             Geophysicist    USGS/ANSS/NEIC
>
>U.S. Geological Survey      Work: 303-273-8670   Cell: 303-478-5766
>MS 966, Box 25046               Email: meremonte at usgs.gov
>Denver, CO  80225                Web:
><http://geohazards.cr.usgs.gov/>http://geohazards.cr.usgs.gov
>
>Ship:  U.S. Geological Survey, 1711 Illinois St., Golden, CO 80401
>

>From: "John H. Parker" <jhparkr at bellsouth.net>
>To: anss-netops at geohazards.usgs.gov
>Date: 02/05/2009 18:06
>Subject: [ANSS-netops] Database
>Sent by: anss-netops-bounces at geohazards.usgs.gov
>

>Hello,
>
>I wanted to ask if anyone is using a database to keep track not only of
>their equipment, but their service visits. I have been working on one in
>Microsoft Access, but if somebody else has already done this please let
>me know.
>
>Thanks,
>John Parker
>Center for Earthquake Research and Information (CERI)
>University of Memphis
>
>--
>Two roads diverged in a wood, and I­
>I took the one less traveled by,
>And that has made all the difference.
>
>Robert Frost - The Road Not Taken

USGS - Earthquake Hazards Team - NCSN Field Operations Manager
David S. Croker                                         office (650) 329-4697
345 Middlefield Rd, MS 977                           fax (650) 329-4732
Menlo Park, CA 94025                                 cell (650) 465-4334
email: croker at usgs.gov
Quake info: http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/
USGS URL: http://www.usgs.gov/