[ANSS-netops] Fwd: Cellular Comm for stations

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Mon Jul 14 16:34:43 GMT 2008

Hi Folks,

If you are interested in using cellular comms for your seismic
telemetry, read on.  This is what I sent to Mark Meremonte in
response to several questions he had.  Hopefully this is helpful to
you to.  Some responses, particularly those related to IT security,
may not affect your organization.  The USGS, for good or bad, is
really getting anal about its IT system.  And thanks to Rayo at CIT
for getting us started down the cellular path in the first place.

Note:  As we delve into the world of using the Internet for comms
(via either cellular, vsat, or borrowing somebody's service), we at
Menlo Park are not totally thrilled with relying on it in the event
of a large earthquake.  We still prefer our own dedicated
comms.  However, when expenses and other issues are factored in, we
see a small place for it.  Furthermore, if we take advantage of the
ability to send data from the datalogger to two different acquisition
systems (say, Menlo and Golden), Internet comms start to make more
sense.  The issue of IT security and, worse, the possibility of
limited future IP gateways, is another looming issue.

The one thing I did not spell out clearly enough for Mark was
bandwidth depending on service.  If your station is outside of EVDO
service--which is expanding rapidly, but still not widely available
outside of metropolitan areas--you will only see 1X
service.  Real-world upload on the 1X network seems to be about
140kbps, which, again, should be plenty for most 6-ch seismograph
stations.  All the testing we did in Menlo was on this service.

Cheers!
Dave