[Realtime-feed-users] Nodal plane params

Fee, Jeremy jmfee at usgs.gov
Wed Jul 10 14:26:02 UTC 2019

Hello,

Thanks for your question.  There is some information about focal mechanisms
and moment tensors on this page, we will work to improve this documentation
in the future:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/comcat/data-products.php#fm

Generally, you should prefer Moment Tensor information over Focal Mechanism
information because more data is used and the results are more accurate.

Inspecting the derived magnitude type can provide more information about
the type of data used in the inversion.

Thanks,

Jeremy Fee
Computer Scientist
USGS Geologic Hazards Science Center, Golden, CO