[Realtime-feed-users] 2 Alaska quakes keep appearing and disappearing from 1-day geojson feed

Fee, Jeremy jmfee at usgs.gov
Tue Mar 15 20:38:56 UTC 2016

Hello,

One of our servers had an error processing information for that event,
leading to the inconsistent feed results.  I've corrected the problem and
you should see consistent results when accessing feeds.

A couple comments about polling feeds to detect changes:

- Events usually don't reappear after being removed from feeds, but this
does happen.  More commonly, and existing event will change ids as
information is received from a preferred contributor.  You can check if
you've already processed an event by inspecting its "ids" property, which
is a comma separate list of event ids associated to an event.

- Deleted events do not appear in feeds.

Another option for triggering in response to changes is our java-based data
distribution system, which is used to populate the database behind the
feeds:

https://github.com/usgs/pdl

An example configuration that calls an external python script in response
to events being added/updated/deleted is available in this github branch:

https://github.com/jmfee-usgs/pdl-client-examples/tree/indexer

Thanks,

Jeremy