[Realtime-feed-users] 2 Alaska quakes keep appearing and disappearing from 1-day geojson feed

James Richards james at artisanglobal.com
Tue Mar 15 05:58:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

Tonight I’m noticing that there are 2 earthquakes in Alaska that appear and disappear every few minutes from the 1-Day M 1.0+ geojson feed. These are:

ak12977218 - a mag 2.1 located 11km SE of Y, Alaska

and

ak12977218 - a mag 1.6 located 93km WSW of Cantwell, Alaska

This is causing our script (fortunately still in beta) that polls the geojson feed to resend an alert about these quakes every few minutes.

Of course we can and will rewrite the script to be more resilient to this kind of error - but I’d like to know what caused this? Is it an anomaly or can we expect this kind of thing to happen again?

Thank you,
James

James Richards
Artisan Global LLC